“Education is the movement from darkness to light”
The children of today have to become adult citizen of tomorrow. The future of the country is reflected through the quality of the present education system. A school must stimulate curiosity in young minds and equip them with tools to be better human beings. It is widely accepted that the learning process is instrumental in shaping the personality of a child and the way it deals with the situations of life. Education doesn’t mean just to acquire degrees and monetary success in life. Rather education must cultivate a healthy thought process and groom cognitive abilities of a child. In the present complicated world, education is a basic necessity after food, clothes and shelter.
School education is the basis of the whole education to be imparted to a child. Let us here discuss 10 top and prestigious schools in India:-
- St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, Kolkata– It is considered to be one of the best schools in India. St. Xavier’s Collegiate is a English-medium private school for boys. The school is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, that conducts the ISCE and ISC examinations in classes X and XII respectively. The school organizes extra-curricular activities such as elocution, debate, quiz, scouts and guides, photography, film screenings and sports including football, cricket, track and field, hockey, badminton and table tennis.
- La Martiniere For Girls School, Kolkata- It is one of the most well-known schools in India. This School has earned a reputation for excellence in the field of academics as well as extracurricular activities. The school focuses on the all-round development of every child and works towards making them responsible citizens. The school follows the ICSE and ISC curriculum. The school is a blend of global education with strong local roots. The students are taught to think internationally and also uphold their rich cultural heritage.
- The Doon School, Dehradun– It was established in 1935. It is one of the finest schools in India. It strives to develop leadership among each student through its curriculum as well as societies, clubs and sports teams. The Doon School has developed its own curriculum, that is creative and intellectually rigorous.
- Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School, Hyderabad- Established in the year 1994, it is a residential boy’s only school and offers day boarding facility, too. Affiliated to CBSE, this school offers classes from I to XII. Its Framework of Education is based on three principal aspects: Vidya- Modern Education, Sadvidya- Traditional Education and Brahmavidya- Spiritual Education. The school has a medical room for emergency and regular health care.
- Little Flower High School, Hyderabad- It was established in July 1953. It provides holistic education to meet the needs of the individual and the society. The school follows the Central Board of Secondary Education curriculum. It imparts education in English and provides Telugu and Hindi as options for first and second languages. The school aims at an education which is person-oriented, work-oriented and social and culture-related. It imparts education with an international outlook and aims at achieving Universal Brotherhood. It has a vibrant curriculum due to the students’ active involvement in experimentation, project work, and other assignment works.
- The Mothers International School, New Delhi– It is a public secondary school affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education. It was founded on 23 April, 1956 by Sri Surendra Nath Jauhar with the blessings of The Mother Mirra Alfassa, a spiritualist and collaborator of Sri Aurobindo. The school works with the motto, “More true, forever more true.” The school teaches four languages that is English, Hindi, Sanskrit and French. It also teaches mathematics, science and social studies till Class 10. The school provides a wide range of facilities for students interested in pottery and clay modeling, carpentry, drama, quizzing, Yoga, taekwondo, gymnastics, music and art groups.
- Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai– Popularly known as Scottish, the Bombay Scottish School is a private, co-educational day school established in 1847. The school has been ranked one of the top ten schools in India for the past 80 decades. It is one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Mumbai. The school is affiliated to the CISCE. The school conducts a variety of activities that provide each student an opportunity for the development of a wholesome personality. The school offers the Advanced Placement Programme that is affiliated to the College Board in the US.
- St. John’s High School, Chandigarh- It was founded in 1959 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers. The school is an Edmund Rice Educational Institute. It has been the best school in the tri-city for the years 2013, 2014, 2015. This institute follows the CBSE curriculum. It is recognized by Chandigarh Education Department. The Creative Learning Integrated Programme offered by the school encourages creativity and adventure among students. To replace books in classes, the school has introduced lesson and worksheet booklets and quarterly interdisciplinary books to replace books in classes. This has helped students to develop an interdisciplinary approach towards education.
- Sainik School, Ghorakhal- It was established in 1966. It is located near Nainital. It is for boys only school and one of the first Sainik Schools to be established in India. The idea behind Sainik Schools is to prepare young boys for the National Defence Academy. This English medium school is affiliated to CBSE. It offers classes from VI to XII for boys age being 10 to 18.
- Delhi Public School, New Delhi– It is a private co-educational day boarding school. Its strength is 6500+ students. It is run by the Delhi Public School Society and is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education. The School has a team of highly experienced academicians of national and international repute. The School provides multiple facilities like swimming pools, squash courts, clinic, a book shop, gym. The school provides luxurious hostel facility to students.
No doubt, all these schools are good enough, but not accessible to all.
Writer Bio- Laksh Garg, 14 years old student from Maur Mandi, Bathinda, Punjab. A participant of International Essay Contest, July, 2019