Let’s we go for a minuscule tour to catch sight of the hidden spiritual beauty in Ramnad/Ramanathapuram/Mugavai. There are multifarious such lesser known yet tectonically colossal temples present in Ramnad District. One exemplary temple which dazzled me a lot is “Sri Mangalanathar-Mangaleswari Temple”. It is situated in a village called “Thiru Uthirakosamangai” which is roughly 17 km away from Ramnad/Mugavai. Epic says that this temple is the masterpiece among the Palmers for its connection with “Ramayanam”. It is noteworthy worshipped by devotees for “Marriage & Child”. In addition it is pondered as one of the primordial Shiva temple which possesses the three forms of glorifying God Shiva “Deity” (Moorthi), “Tree” (Virutcham), “Sacred Water” (Theertham) in India.
“Sri Mangalanathar-Mangaleswari Temple/Mangalanathar Temple” is trusted to be built by Panda Kings named “Achuthappa” a Hindu ruler of Thanjavur in 1529-1542 A.D then Muthuveerappar, Sedhupathy dynasty & other kings who ruled Ramnad at various times. The latest refurbishment was carried out by the queen of Ramnad. Up-to-date this temple is preserved & superintend by the Hindu Religious & Endowment Board of the Government of Tamil Nadu. Mangalanathar temple is prepensed as the initial & 3000 years old “Siva Temple” in the galaxy. The purity of “Uthirakosamangai” is quoted in the primeval Tamil Literature as “Man Mundhiyo Mangai Mundhiyo” which implies “Did the mud comes first/ the women deity of the shrine”. This spot was subsisting aforetime the origination of mud in the earth. Besides this place is believed to be where “Lord Shiva” conveyed the secrets of Vedas (Pranava Mantra OM) to “Lord Parvati”. Uthiram means Upadesam, Kosam means Secrets, Parvathi means Mangai so this spot is called as “Uthirakosamangai” in general. In this temple 3300 years old Indian Date/Ber Tree/Ziziphus Jujube are present & the age of this tree was reckoned by the archaeologians (Research conducted by State Government). This temple is treated as “South Kasi”. A 9th Century Tamil poet “Manickavasagar” has esteem Mangalanathar temple in his verses “Thiruvasakam”. So there is a segregate tiny shrine for “Manickavasagar” in this temple. Furthermore in 15th century a Tamil poet named “Arunagirinathar” has composed Tamil songs to praise “Lord Murugan” in this temple. As stated by myth “Indiran” bestowed the “White Elephant” (Airavata) for “Lord Murugan” in this spot. It has 16 gateway tower & spread over more or less 20 acres of land. In Doorway there is Yali (saga Dragon) statue is present in this we see portrayed stone ball inner its mouth with rolling. Nine planets are not present in this temple. Only a Single Saturn character is there. Sage said that the tradition of praising nine planets came into custom after 9th century (Ramanuja’s period). This temple is older than Ramanuja’s period of time. Temple Timings is from Morning 6 A.M to 11 A.M & Evening 4 P.M to 8 P.M. These timings will be prolonged on Shivratri, Arudhara Darshan, & Aani Thirumanjam. Additionally Rameswaram is just 83km away from Mangalanathar temple.
Unique Specialities of this temple:
Worship Three Times a day:
- In this temple, it is accepted that troubles associated to the Sins of the Prior & Present birth, marriage & child related issues will be resolved if one sightsee & prays “God Shiva & Parvathi”. It is also trusted that praying “Shiva & Parvathi” of this temple on the different timings of a day will grant assorted benefits.
- Praying in the Morning Time confers rescue from antecedent birth sins
- Glorifying in the Noon Time grant relief from goodie birth sins
- Praising in the Evening Time spares lifespan & Prosperity
Emerald Natarajar Idol:
- In Magalanathar Temple, “God Natarajar” statue is found. It is fabricated with utmost expensive Emerald (Maragatham) which is more or less six feet towering. Usually we glimpse “Bronze Natarajar Idol” in “Shiva Temples”. We cannot notice suchlike enormous “Emerald Idol” anyplace in the universe. Emerald Idol is almost sensitive & it can’t withstand sounds made by musical instruments (Mathalam). Besides it is trusted that it will get smashed. So this Emerald Natarajar Idol” is envelop with the sandal powder throughout the year. During the day of Thiruvadhirai (Arudra Dharishanam) in Margazhi the outdated sandal powder is changed and fresh sandal powder overlay is given to “Emerald Natarajar Idol”. In addition this is the at most temple where “Emerald Natarajar Idol” is obtainable for darshan.
Screw Pine/Thalampoo Bloom:
- Thalampoo (Ketaki flower/Screw Pine Flower) is not commonly used as a flower for praise to Lord Shiva, but only used in this temple for benefaction worship. There is an epical story related to this temple, let’s we see that in short. Thalampoo has a brawny sweet-scented flower. But this flower is only used in Mangalanathar temple for praying “God shiva”. On the report myth this flower gave falsehood during controversy between “God Vishnu &God Brahma” regarding on who is greater. Then this contention was reconciled by a condition as to he who sees either head/feet of God Shiva. God Brahma went up to glimpse the head & God Vishnu went down to notice the feet. Thereafter several days God Vishnu could not find the feet and he sat down in cavernous meditation & ascertain that he is not the greater one. God Brahma as well peregrination enormous days but could not see the head and was repatriated at that time he saw Thalampoo falling down & said that it is forthcoming from the head of Lord Shiva. Brahma entreated the bloom to bear witness that he has spot the head of God Shiva. They came to told God Vishnu that God Brahma has seen the head of “Lord Shiva”. At once God Shiva was occurred & annoyed with both “Brahma & Thalampoo” for falsity. Lord Shiva confiscated the 5th head of Lord Brahma and cursed him will not be worshipped at every shrine. Too cursed Thalampoo should not be utilized to pray in any shrine. After this incident the Thalampoo perform expiration on this temple and interrogate to pardon it for its blunder afterwards a prolonged amends of Thalampoo God shiva proffers it a forfeit that it would only be used in Mangalanathar Temple in addition he made a compromise that the bloom may be used only on “Mahasivarathiri”.
- Once upon a time “Mandothari” (Ravana’s Wife) deciding to marry man who is a splendid “God Shiva” manic then she married “Ravana”. But she can’t give birth to a child. So “Mandothari” did a perilous penance on “God Shiva”. Then God Shiva told the 1000 Aspirants who perform penance in “Uthirakosamangai Mangalanathar Temple”. Too he is pleased with Mandothari’s penance and he is going to galaxy to appear for her. He told them to keep the Vedas safely until he returns back from the Sri Lanka. Lord Shiva comes out in a baby form to “Mandothari”. Then “Ravana” realized the child is God Shiva and touched the baby. Suddenly God Shiva turned as a fire to want to test Ravana King. Everything in the galaxy got fire; hence the aspirants can’t able to save the Vedas as told by God shiva. Moreover a ball of flame fatten in the “Agnitheertham” of “UthirakosaMangai Mangalanathar Temple” then Out of thousand, 999 killed ourselves by plummet in the fire, stint one of them remained to save the Vedas. God Shiva was gratified by the ascetic and emerged as “Sahasralingam” (“1000 lingams”) for the 999 and one final for himself in the temple. That monk was trusted to have appeared afterwards as “Manickavasgar” in his next birth. In this temple ascetic “Manikavasagar” poise in the “Linga Form”.
A shrine is the spot where people trust that God alive. “Temple Worship is a good thing” said by Tamil poetess ovvaiyar in Kondrai Vendhan. Shrine visit is one of the most eminent in “Indian Culture”. Overriding of temples begins to grow because these are mediums for connections with God. Besides bells in the shrine kills the germs (bacteria & virus) inside in shrine. Environs of the shrine bring forth a psychological impact which assists in concentrating on the craving goals. In general visit to shrine is linked with mythos. Hiking bare foot in shrine is an Exercise/Yoga & it is equal to acupuncture. That is the key reason where monks are went to temple each day. In fact if we visit temple each & every day numerous health correlated problems are avoided it includes Control Blood Pressure, Proliferate Positive Energy/Good deeds (Physically & Mentally), Sense of Hope, Undo Stress, Ameliorate Immunity Power, Erase Negative Karmas etc. As well if we presumed that we go to shrine day to day means we are not just “Rich by Wealth” furthermore “Rich by Health”. Our body feels relaxed & happy. Hence Shrine Tour is not merely “Best for Enjoying” but also purifies our “Heart & Mind”.
Author: J. Vaisali