This recipe is for those people who like spicy chicken.It is very easy to make and relatively lesser time consuming.It is a Chinese cuisine but very popular among Indian also.You can easily find this in menu of every Indian restaurant.
So now what is in this dish? The main role is played by garlic and red chili sauce. Other are playing supporting role.When I cooked it first time , I was quite impressed myself, because I love spicy food and the taste was awesome and far better than restaurant.You can easily impress your guest with this quick and spicy chicken dish.I have already mentioned that it is a spicy dish but for kids, you also try this with less spices, because with less red chili sauce, it tastes good.
Most interesting thing is the ingredients for this is easily available in everyone’s kitchen.So don’t wait, try it out at your home.
Join me @
- Flavours And Spices
My recipe page..Hope u’ll like it 🙂
History of Schezwan
The name schezwan comes from the place Sichuan in China. Sichuan is also known as ‘Heavenly Country’ due to its natural source of food. Schezwan is a type of Chinese cooking that’s generally pretty spicy.The characteristics of Schezwan dishes is spices,pickling,salting, sauces and drying. It is generally spicy due to heavy application of chili powder and oil.
- 400gm Chicken, Cut into small piece
- 7-8 red chillies
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, paste
- 7-8 flakes garlic, fine chopped
- 4 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp or to taste sugar
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- little red color (optional)
- 2 spring onion, cut into medium pieces
- 1 tbsp or to taste salt
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Fry the spring onion slightly and keep it separately
- In a microwave proof dish, mix the oil, chopped garlic,dry red chilies, chicken, garlic paste and all the other ingredients except the spring onion, cornflour and salt.Mix well.
- Microwave covered for 8-10 mins.
- Add spring onion, salt and cornflour (mix well in 1/2 cup water).Mix well.
- Microwave uncovered for 3 mins or till a thick sauce coats the chicken.Stir in every min.
- Let it stand for 2-3 mins and serve hot.
Note : You can substitute the chicken with Panner or Tofu (Indian Cheese). In case of Paneer, you have to add paneer at the last stage, that is at level 5 (of Instruction).
This alternate method is applicable for those who do not want to use Microwave or who do not have access of Microwave.
But Microwave give you the better result.
The process is almost same, only difference is in timing.
Step 1: same as the above mentioned instruction.
Step 2: Pour oil in kadai/ pan and let it get warm for couple of mins. Add the chopped garlic, dry red chilies, garlic paste and sugar. Fry it for 2 mins.
Step 3: Add the chicken and fry it very well to mix all masala/spices with chicken. Cook covered for 5-7 mins or until the oils are come out from the chicken. Add all sauces, red color,lemon juice,tomato ketchup and Stir it for 2 mins.
Step 4: Add salt and cornflour (mix well in 1/2 cup water).Mix well. Stir for more 3 mins.
Step 5: Add the spring onion and mix well. Stir well for 1 min.
Step 6: Serve hot.
Note : cook time for this method is 15 -20 mins.
Side Dishes go with Schezwan Chicken :
You can use any Chinese Main course food like Hakka Noodles, Fried rice or steam rice also I personally try it with veg fried rice for lunch and it is really good combination, I feel.In dinner , you try this chicken dish with Hakka Noodles.
|Serving size: 1 person ( 100gm Dry Fried Chicken)|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Cholesterol 28 mg||9%|
Some Tips :
1. To save time, measure and prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.
2. Stir-fry cooking moves rather fast once you start.
3. Due to its spiciness, take it occasionally and in limit.