The Shop and Establishment Act in India is promulgated by the state governments, but it slightly varies from state to state. All the shops and commercial establishments running within a particular state are covered by this act. The shop act license refers to a type of legal permission that legally allows people to do business in a particular place. If any individual has a physical shop or office, it is essential to acquire a license. The license acts as proof of a particular business being done at that place. In Maharashtra, this act is known as GUMASTA in the regional language. The shop license act provides a chartered and legal obligation and rights to employees in the unorganized sector of employment. It also regulates and maintains the conditions of work and employment in the following places:
- Commercial establishments
- Other places of public entertainment
The application for the license in the prescribed form should have the following details:
- Name of employer
- Name of the establishment
- Address of the establishment
- Category of establishment
- Number of employees
- Other details that might be asked for
IMPORTANT FACTS AND PROCEDURE
- The commercial establishment or the shop will be registered, and a registration certificate will be issued to the occupier.
- This license issued must be prominently displayed at the shop or commercial establishment and should be renewed periodically according to the act.
- The shop will be registered only after the submission of the application and review by the chief inspector.
WHAT IS AN MSME REGISTRATION?
- MSME, a short name for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises.
- MSME industries have become the backbone of the economy of India.
- In a country like India, the MSME sector contributes to 45% of India’s total Industrial Employment.
- These industries are also called small-scale industries or SSI’s when these industries grow, the economy of the country flourishes and grows as a whole.
- The registration can be done by any small and medium scale industry owner who needs to fill the application form either online or offline.
WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR A SHOP LICENSE?
The following documents are required to obtain a shop license:
- AADHAAR card
- PAN card
- Address proof like electricity bill or NOC from the owner
- Authority letter for business
- PAN card of the partnership firm
- An application letter in the prescribed format addressed to the municipal corporation
GST REGISTRATION AND LABOUR LICENSE
- With this GST regime, any business whose turnover amount exceeds Rs.40 lakhs needs to register as a normal taxable person, this process of registration is called GST registration.
- For particular businesses, registration under GST is mandatory, if the business is carried on without registering, heavy penalties will apply.
- The Contract Labour Act had been implemented and was established by the Indian Legislature in the year 1970.
- Every contractor who has employed more than twenty workers on any day needs to apply for the labor license.
If any individual is planning to start with a shop establishment or a commercial working place, he must contact the chief inspector for a Shop and Establishment Act License within the stipulated time.
For shop licence click here