If you are in college, you know that sooner or later you will have to do an essay. For those who have never done one, it can be a bit tedious. However, with the steps and considerations, we will tell you about it, and you will find it very easy.
Remember that you will have to take into account the guidelines of who has asked for it, the readers to whom it is addressed, as well as where it will be published (if it is published at all).
What will I learn? By the end of this tutorial, you will have learned how to write an essay, as well as its main characteristics, and you will be able to select the type of essay you need to complete your assignment. And it won’t be necessary to buy an evaluation essay or any other paper.
Types of Essays
As you will see in the following lines, each test respects the structure mentioned above, but they differ according to the type of test you have to perform. Additionally, there is no single classification of essay types, so we will present two major classifications.
First of all, we can observe 3 different types of essays: scientific, literary, and academic.
1. Academic essay. This type of essay is carried out by an intellectual or university community within an academic institution (it can be a school or university). It generally has 3 central characteristics:
- It is formal
- Rigorous concerning the method used.
2. Literary essay. These essays present a particularity of greater freedom at the time of exposing the issues raised. Additionally, it allows subjective points of view, a characteristic it does not share with the previously mentioned essay. These essays must seduce the reader, so a little more emphasis is placed on a writing style that captures the reader’s attention and allows him/her to reach certain reflections about something.
3. Scientific essays. These are essays that present the results of scientific research. They generally include reports, statistics, or results obtained in first or second-source research, since they favor the understanding of the conclusion the author of the essay wants the readers to reach.
Secondly, another classification of essay types divides them into 3 main groups: analytical, expository, and argumentative essays.
1. Analytical essay. An analytical essay has the particularity of breaking down a topic into all its parts. It examines the relationship between the parts from a purely logical perspective.
2. Expository essay. In this type of essay, all the topics are exposed. Its main characteristic is to define, explain and describe at the same time. This type of essay is usually used to demonstrate some knowledge.
3. Argumentative essay. It is characterized by trying to persuade or convince the reader of the same for a specific topic. Arguments are constantly used to achieve such persuasion. Generally, it is necessary to have a lot of knowledge about the topic before writing an argumentative essay.
As you will see below, you must take into account some steps during the elaboration of the essay and before starting it.
8 Tips for Writing an Essay
The best college essay writing services suggest follow these next tips:
- Always remember to keep in mind the topic you are working on. This will help you avoid unintentionally straying from the objective.
- Identify keywords within the essay. This will help you frame and guide your writing.
- Avoid inappropriate or vulgar language. By this we mean avoid using language or words that are not related to the topic.
- Introduce the main topic in the first paragraph. This will facilitate the reading and structure of the essay, as well as give clarity to your essay.
- Use connectors. As in all formal or semi-formal writing, the proper use of connectors is important. In this way, the sentences you present will be intertwined.
- In the final paragraph, you should mention the conclusion of the topic presented in the first paragraph.
- Use quotations. As we mentioned above, you must use quotations properly both in the body of the essay and in the footnote or the bibliography at the end of the essay.
- Check spelling, grammar, and coherence. This will help your essay to have the formal appearance that is required.
Steps to Write My Essay
To make a good essay, it will be necessary to perform some steps to get the best results. Anyway, remember that learning how to write essays is learned by practicing, so the first essay you write will not be the same as the fifth or tenth one you write.
Before we begin… What we are going to expose next are the previous steps to making a good essay.
Step 1: Define the topic
Before starting your essay, you should define the topic you are going to write about. This will help you consider the type of audience you are addressing and the way it should be written.
In this aspect, it is important to resort to previous research that will be your theoretical support. Always refer to recognized research on the topic you are writing about.
Step 2: Previous research
It is important that you carry out research from different sources so that you can have a broad vision of what you wish to give an opinion on.
Remember that you can also use the information available on the Internet. In this regard, you have to find reputable sources. Additionally, you should check beforehand whether the person who has asked you for the essay allows you to include research sources found on the Internet or not.
Step 3: Read other essays
Read essays related to the topic you want to discuss. It is best to go to essays by well-known people or professionals. This way you will be able to observe the way the reader is addressed, the type of typography used, the style of writing, and the content that is of interest to the readers.
Step 4: Don’t address too many points
If you expand on too many axes, it will be necessary that you then make an approach, development, synthesis, or point of view regarding each one. You should focus on a few aspects and develop them adequately.
Step 5: Make a draft of your ideas
Try to answer where you want to go, what is your objective or goal: Do you want readers to understand another point of view on a specific topic? Do you want to make your point of view or opinion known? Do you want readers to doubt some certainty of previous research? etc.
Write down where you want to go. This will give you a clear direction for each part of the essay without losing sight of your objective or goal. It will also serve as a guide for when you start writing your essay.
Step 6: Use reputable sources and research
In this regard, it is important to make citations. Remember to cite properly to avoid plagiarizing other people’s ideas without bad intentions.
Step 7: Use short sentences
Try not to use sentences that are too long or difficult to understand. Remember that the objective of any essay is to show the author’s point of view while keeping in mind the type of reader of the essay. Adapt to the type of reader and the form/style of writing they are looking for.
Clearly state the main and secondary ideas. The answer, in each case, is where this idea is taking me. This will help you a lot in the conclusion or synthesis of the essay.
Step 8: Consider the style of writing
In this regard, it is important to consider the style of the readers. Generally speaking, an essay has a close but formal language with the reader, since it is intended that the reader knows or understands the author’s point of view on a given topic. However, this will be determined by the author and the type of reader he/she wishes to reach.
Step 9: Include reflections in the conclusion
Since every essay shows the author’s point of view, you have to include concluding thoughts. Try to keep them brief and clear, avoiding misinterpretations.
So now you know how to write a perfect essay of any type! If you need any help, you can always contact essay writers at paper writing services and get a masterpiece.
Write and Win: Participate in Creative writing Contest & International Essay Contest and win fabulous prizes.