UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (UPSC), It’s Central Government organization authorized to conduct different examination for civil services, engineering services, defence and many more through out the year. It’s formed in 1 October, 1926 and controlled by Government of India.
A list of exams conducted by UPSC are : –
- Civil Services Examination(CSE)
- Engineering Services Examination(IES)
- Combined Defence Services Examination(CDSE)
- National Defence Academy Examination(NDA)
- Naval Academy Examination
- Combined Medical Services Examination
- Special Class Railway Apprentice(SCRA)
- Indian Economic Service/Indian Statistical Service Examination
- Geologists’ Examination(GE)
- Central Armed Police Forces(AC)
Today I will tell you about CSE. I will try to be more informative how much I can.
CSE Civil service Examination conducted every year. It has about 24 services and Exams based on two phases. About 7 to 8 lakhs people apply for this and about 900 to 800 candidates pass the exam. It’s difficulty and most prestigious exam in India.
24 services are Likely:
- Indian Administrative Service(IAS).
- Indian Foreign Service(IFS).
- Indian Police Service(IPS).
- Indian post and telecommunications Accounts & Finance Service(IP & TAFS)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service(IAAS).
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise).
- Indian Defence Accounts Service.
- Indian Revenue Service (Income tax).
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service.
- Indian Postal Service (IPOS).
- Indian Civil Accounts Service(ICAS).
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group A.
- Indian Railway Accounts Service.
- Indian Railway Personnel Service.
- Indian Defence Estates Service.
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade).
- Indian Trade Service, Group A.
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group A.
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group B.
- Pondicherry Civil Service Group ‘B.
- Pondicherry Police Service. Group ‘B.
Two phases are:
- Preliminary Exam (prelims)
- Mains Exam (written) and Personality test (interview)
1.Prelims has two papers (objective type questions)(400 marks)
|GS General Studies 1||200 marks||
|GS 2 (CSAT)||200 marks||33% qualifying|
•GS General Studies 1 subject are
- General science and technology
- Current affairs (most important)
- International affairs
•GS General Studies 2 (CSAT) civil services aptitude test
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Decision making and problems solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy and Data interpretation (class X)
- English language comprehension skill (class X)
2.Mains and personality test (interview)
(It’s a writing exam)
•Mains 7+2=9 (250 marks for each paper) (1750 total)
1. Paper 1 Essay writing.
• Language(only qualifying, Language paper marks are not counted it’s just passing paper).
3. Regional language (Hindi, Marathi, Indian languages).
• GS General Studies
4. GS 1 History ( Ancient, Medieval, Post modern, Modern, Art and Culture, World history, Post independence, Indian heritage and Geography of the world).
5. GS 2 Society ( Polity, Social justice, Governance, Constitution and International relations).
6. GS 3 Geography (Economy, Science, Technology, Environment, Bio diversity, Disaster management and Security issues).
7. GS 4 Ethics (Ethics, integrity and Aptitude).
• Optional subject (as per your choice which is give in list).
8. Optional 1
9. Optional 2
(Zoology, Chemistry, Medical Science, Management, Mathematics, Public administration, Law, Geology, Mechanical engineering, economy, Commerce and Accounts, Anthropology etc.)
•Personality test (interview) (275 marks)
Total of mains + personality test = 1750 + 275
- Prelims are conducted between May – June
- Mains in between August – October
- Interview in January – February
Maybe, But you must have prepared.
So, the question is now which books we read? From where we get? What is the study material? etc. Some of the books which I prefer
- Polity M laxmikanth.
- Bipan Chandra’s books
- Indian Economy by Ramesh singh
- Freedom struggle by spectrum
- The Hindu times
- RSTV Rajya sabha TV debate
- Yojana magzine
- NCERTs from class 5th to 12th (most important for Basics)
- Current affairs every time and before Exams
- IAS IPS Officers speech their experiences
- Use technology like youtube channels (Unacademy, study iq)
- Previous year papers
- Toppers video like Junaid Ansari, Akhast Jain, Srushti Jayant Deshmukh, Ira singhal etc.
- For more one can google.
One of the most important thing you have to be motivated. You have to focus only on studies. You have to fix your schedule, you have to give 8 to 10 hours for studies. you have to meditate and keep cool. Biggest think is try, try but don’t give up because opportunity can be comes from anywhere.
And if you are not confirmed that you are going to do civil services then don’t wait time make another back plan. Try for both God is great he must give you the best. Best of luck, Be prepared, Be focused, keep stand for the future.
By Khan Nida Mohammad Arif , Mumbai