Chicken Curry is one of the most easy and healthy chicken recipe according to me. I learn this from my mother.As I told earlier in my another hub Recipe-Fried-Schezwan-Chicken, that I love chicken. We used to cook this once in a week still now. It is a delicious and healthy curry. It is very good dish for kid too.
In India it is originated from South, where it was made from Spice Blend.
Now what are the specialties of this recipe? The first specialty it’s smelled of Graram Masala, Secondly the sweet potatoes and last one is the pressure cooker.Garama Masala is the special type of spice made in India ( I describe this in the Marinade section) and I feel, this is the main attraction for me for this dish.
The dish is cooked in pressure cooker (pot that uses steam under pressure at high temperature to cook food quickly).If you don’t have it, you have to boil the chicken for more times. But you get best results using pressure cooker. Because pressure cooker locks the nutritious value and the smell under itself.
Join me @
- Flavours And Spices
My recipe page. Hope u’ll like it 🙂
- 400gm Chicken
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 2 Onion, paste
- 1 root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chill powder
- 2 Red chillies
- 20gm curd
- a bunch fresh coriander leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic, paste
- 2 cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cardamom seeds, split open
- 1 tsp (or to taste) salt
- to taste sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp olive /sunflower oil
- 2 and 1/2 cup water
- 4-5 green chili, paste
- 1 small Tomato
Marinade (Mix together) :
Add curd, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, mustard oil, black pepper, green chili paste, cumin powder, turmeric powder with chicken pieces and mix very well. Keep it for 15-20 min in fridge.
Note: What is Garam Masala? It is a special spice powder in India. Garam masala is a blend of various spices .It contains cinnamon, cardamom seeds, cloves and peppercorns.All the ingredients should grind properly and mix well to prepare the garam masala. It is easily available in Indian shop.It main purpose to impart spicy flavor.
- Add oil to a very hot pressure cooker pot.
- Add potatoes and fry it slightly. Keep it separately.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, red chilies and cardamom seeds.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté till light golden brown.
- Add the marinated chicken and stir to distribute equally.
- Now stir (medium high heat) continuously until the oil separates. It takes 10-12 min.
- Add Salt and sugar.Add fried potatoes and stir it for 2-3 min.
- Add 2 and half (as per your requirement) cup of water.
- Add coriander, fresh from the top.
- Place lid on pressure cooker tightly. Pressure cook for 5 min.
- Open the pressure cooker only when all the steam has escaped.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and mix it.
- Stir very gently to mix all ingredients properly.
- Serve Hot.
- Add fresh coriander from for garnishing.
Dishes go with Chicken Curry:
This is mostly preferably with steam rice and jeera/white cumin seed rice. This dish is simple and not spicy, so try it with simple dish like rice or chapati.
Sweet Potatoes contain much more nutrition value than common white potatoes. It includes Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Zinc. It helps to digest quickly and makes protective against the risk of cancer,ulcer, heart disease and stroke.
Chicken itself a source of excellent protein. It also contains Vitamin B6 and niachin, which is good for cancer prevention process, energy production etc.
Among the other ingredients, ginger and turmeric powder have an anti-inflammatory effect making them suitable for the treatment of arthritis. Cinnamon makes protective against the risk of diabetes and heart disease. Onion has so many advantages like protect against stomach and colon cancers. It also help in the treatment of coughs, colds and asthma.
|Serving size: 100gm|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 27 g||54%|
|Cholesterol 43 mg||14%|