Everyone of us have played several games in our childhood, one such game which almost every kid plays in his tender age is “doctor-doctor”, never knew when the time changed so much that from playing doctor-doctor, we ended up preparing for actual medical college entrance to become a real doctor! The word MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) is itself capable of giving Goosebumps to many medico folks round there, and every year to materialize their fondest dream students give two most prestigious exams every year namely, AIIMS and NEET, both have different set and types of questions probably judging at every point the future oncologists, gynecologists and cardiologist. Following are the top 10 most sought medical colleges of India:
- AIIMS: It stands for All India Institute of Medical Sciences, they are a group of autonomous public institutes setup by the government of India, for the higher education in medicine, the acceptance rate of AIIMS is as stringent as around 0.05% only, as of present there are a total of 11 AIIMS present all around the country, most recent being established at Gorakhpur. The education imparted here is itself the best one , as the faculties here are the doctors actually recruited at AIIMS.
- Maulana Azad Medical College: The beautiful college campus situated in the heart of New Delhi is generally the first choice of all the toppers of neet, established in 1956 the college has the affiliation from University of Delhi, one of the most eye catching feature of the college is its tution fees for the mbbs undergrads which is merely around Rs. 250 only, which itself justifies why it is the most respected institute.
- Lady Hardinge Medical College: Popularly known as LHMC, is yet another living landmark in field of medical education for Women, situated in the national capital, only girl students are eligible to enroll in the 200 mbbs seats offered, since 1991 college has started to give treatment to the male patients as well. The students opting for this college can apply to it through three ways: State quota (if living in delhi), All india quota, delhi university quota.
- King George Medical University: The college is a craze for the students of Uttar Pradesh and is the first choice preference for those opting for the state counseling through upneet, the ancient college is situated at Lucknow offers a large number of courses for the students to pursue starting from basic nursing to MD and MS along with phD and other majors, there is a sister branch of it known as faculty of dental sciences for the study of BDS, the cutoff for general merit goes very high and the candidates scoring more than 99.8 percentile in neet are able to make a cut in it.
- JIPMER: It stands for Jawahar Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pudducherry Campus provides the admission to the courses in limited medical fields unlike other colleges it has no provision for BDS and MDS, the special feature of the college is that, it conducts its own entrance exam for the admission to Mbbs.
- BHU Varanasi: It is regarded as one of the best public state university in terms of higher education, the other counterpart of it provides technical education and is named as IIT BHU,the admission intake of MBBS is however considerably lesser around only 84 seats as on 2019, the college however has a good provision of scholarships as well for the meritorious students.
- Government Medical College and Hospital Chandigarh: The college is ranked under top 10 colleges by the union health ministry, the college has strict rules more like a school and students are made to follow the rules and code of conduct laid at the beginning apart from this several cultural fests like Euphoria and plexus too take place in the campus to mark the extracurricular activities.
- J Medical college and civil hospital Ahmadabad: It is one of the most oldest college of India in terms of medical education, established in 1871, the area covered under it is perhaps the largest by any hospital in Asia, the college has been successful in garnering the full attention of the government and soon it will renovate on the lines of AIIMS Delhi and will turn in to a super speciality hospital, an investment of US dollars 200 million have been made in to it.
- Ram Manohar Lohia Institute of Medical Sciences: The college is another pride along with KGMU for lucknowites, the college was earlier affiliated by KGMU, but owing to the facilities and world class service offered it was given the status of University under the State legislature and within its first year it managed to get as many as 150 students admitted to it, with in its debut it replaced the old college of UP GSVM (Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial College,Kanpur) to get the 2nd Rank.
- Burdwan Medical College: A name to the dream of medical maniacs of West Bengal, regarded as perhaps the A1 college in terms of education, atmosphere , culture etc, No ragging or immoral conduct has ever been observed in the campus, the college focuses on the need of skills development and hence along with academics many other cultural fests like Bonzournova, Roshanai, Spandan etc, takes place throughout the year, moreover the student unity and union of students and teachers of the college is very strong and well known.
The above 10 colleges have set the high standard in medical field, those who get the chance to study in them are perhaps some of the handfuls who are the most luckiest ones however, a student should remember that success is a journey not a destination, one may not be able to grab the best college in this journey but what he had learnt from the journey is what matters most!
Writer Bio: Sushil Kumar, Uttar Pradesh,India