I love cooking simple dishes as I hate to roam around in kitchen for a long time. Back during my college days I used to experiment various dishes. As I was into Korean dramas, I used to observe the cooking methods they use and I have made a lot of research on their cuisine and on weekends I try easy veganKorean dishes. I just love Korean cuisine. And I was browsing for some simple Korean recipes and I ended up in finding this delicious recipe of Koreanpotatopancake from a blog and I added few more ingredients to make it little more delicious.
We don’t need any special skill to make Korean potato pancake or Gamjajeon in Korean. There is a history behind Korean pancakes.Potatoes were introduced in korea through China-North Korea border at Tumen in 1824. They were mainly cultivated in mountain ranges of Gangwon province. And there are lot of ways to make Korean pancake. Pancakes are made traditionally just with potatoes, salt and oil, but what I am sharing with you right now is a modernized one with an Indian touch. Here is the simple way to make potato pancakes. All you need to make them are potatoes, rice flour and eggs.
I’ve read a myth about Koreans that they should eat pancakes on a rainy day. It’s weird isn’t it?There are lot of theories about it.
When pancakes are cooked in pan they make a sizzling sound and Koreans relate them with the noise of the rain. As we don’t see the sun on a rainy day our melatonin level decreases and we feel depressed. So our body wants to have something which increase the sugar level by taking in some carbohydrates, and Koreans happen to choose pancakes.
Whatever the reasons might be, these Korean potato pancakes are a must try one as they are crispy and delicious.
When you feel to have some snack in a rainy day, you can whip this in few minutes. As it was raining miserably yesterday evening, today the temperature was a pleasing one.The rain is being kind to the earth so I decided to be kind to my stomach. So I thought of making something crispy and hot.
Korean potato pancakes is the best option for all those who are lazy like me. You don’t need any fancy ingredients. And it has got lot of health benefits. Inside it is chewy and outside it is little crispy and crunchy like French fry.
In-fact onions and potato is a good combination. We use onions in the pancake is to prevent them from turning dark.This is a perfect snack before dinner. It is much better with dipping sauce which is called as choganjang in Korean and it is optional. And it also tastes good with black tea.
Enjoy the recipe! Everybody can cook this! You can also impress your family with this recipe. All you need is a potato at home and time to make pancake!
- 1 large potato, peeled and grated
- 1\4 cup grated onion
- 1\4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1\4 cup rice flour
- 1 green chilli, seeded and thinly sliced.
FOR DIPPING SAUSE
- 2 table spoon soy sauce
- 1 table spoon lime juice
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1\4 cup sliced onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1\2 table spoon sugar
- To make dipping sauce combine soy sauce, lime juice, green onion, onion, jalapeno pepper and sugar in a small bowl and mix it well until the sugar is completely melted. Then set this aside.
- Put the grated potato and onion in a bowl. And add salt, rice flour, chilli and eggs. And mix it together to form a batter
- Heat the non-stick pan over medium-heat.
- Add 2 table spoon of oil and swirl the pan around to spread the oil evenly. The add the potato mixture and spread them thinly on the pan
- Cook for few minutes until the bottom of the pancake turns golden brown.
- Flip it over, add rest of the oil to the edges of the pancake. Let it cook until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Keep turning it over and over until both sides are crispy and light golden brown for about 10 minutes.
- Now cut them in small slices like pizza.
- Transfer it to a plate and serve hot with the sauce or with a cup of black tea which is my favorite.
Author: Sruthi Unnikrishnan, Coimbatore