Listening is the first and perhaps the most important language skill that students have to learn. If by now you use your power of reasoning and logic to analyze what you hear, you are a good listener especially if you listen attentively and purposefully.
Useful tips for effective listening:-
- Carefully listen to teacher’s instructions
- When you listen to speeches, mark the tone, attitude and state of mind of the speakers, for you will need to understand to infer the hidden meaning.
- When listening to longer inputs , do not draw hasty conclusion. Wait till you have listened to the complete piece and then draw your conclusions.
- Remember the mantra for effective listening is practice, more practice and still more practice.
People learn to speak their mother tongue in natural way. Did you realize when you learnt and started speaking your mother tongue ? Most probably you don’t know when and how it happened. But it is not in the case of English for the speakers of other languages.
SOME CHARACTERISTICS OF EFFECTIVE SPEAKING
- Production of English speech sounds and sound patterns accurately and clearly.
- Organizing thoughts in a meaningful and logical sequence.
- Using language as a means of expressing values.
Some of these characteristics are acquired with practice and some come with age. Remember, you will learn to speak effectively only by practicing speaking. Watch English plays and movies, talks and speeches to study how native speakers speak.
Reading is very important in life. Everyone should learn to read different languages . We should try to improve our reading skills day by day by reading newspaper, magazines, novels etc.
ADVANTAGES OF READING
- If you learn to read different languages , you would be able to interact with people of different states or countries.
- If someone is blind and ask you to read you can help that person by reading.
- It builds ability to read different languages
Writing skills are very fundamental especially when writing an essay. Writing skills are very essential when writing an essay. Good writing skills involve the ability to write an essay which are free from grammatical errors, with good content as well as style and structure. Essays written by professionals are always reader friendly because the professionals make use of headings, subheadings and listing whenever possible and these type of essays with heading and subheadings are quite attractive to the reader. Moreover, readers find easier to follow the writers train of thought .
MEANING OF COMMUNICATION
The word communication is basically a process of interaction with the people and their environment. Though such type of interaction, two or more people influence the ideas, beliefs and attitudes of each other. It is one of the important tools that aid us to connect with people. Either you are a student, a working professional, good communication is something that will connect you far ahead. This is the reason one must know how to communicate well. The skills of communication are essential to be developed so that you are able to interact with people. It is the greatest importance. It is important for sharing out one’s thoughts and feelings to live a happier life. The more we communicate the less we suffer. However, it is necessary to learn the art of effective communication.
“Write to show your feelings,
Speak to be heard,
Listen to get knowledge,
Read to learn,
Communicate well to be attractive”
By Simrat Kaur